Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Month One

As my first month as writer in residence for VIRL draws to a close, I'm pleased to report that I've made dozens of appointments with writers and have booked workshops all up and down Vancouver Island and on several of the Gulf Islands.

I've just returned from a ten day tour of central Alberta during which I spoke to nearly a thousand kids. Many thanks to the wonderful librarians of Red Deer, Olds, Stettler, Didsbury, Rocky Mountain and Sylvan Lake for a great trip!

Should you happen into the main branch of the Nanaimo library, you are unlikely to miss the enormous poster of me located near my office. Please don't be alarmed if you spot the real me and notice one key difference. I am now sporting a nasty black eye thanks to a chance encounter between my eyebrow and my horse's knee. That poster would require some judicious shading with a felt pen to make the portrait entirely accurate. I would like to state for the record that my rather rugged appearance in no way reflects the Vancouver Island Regional Library. Ahem.

No comments: